Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nov 9th. 3 weeks to DUE DATE!

Here I am with the rest of the pregnant women in our prenatal class.  This was the only class Paolo missed!

I am sorry that there are no more pictures this time, but Paolo has our camera in the US!




What a fun week it has been to be an American living in India! Our cook Sebastian greeted me on Wednesday morning with his wide grin, "God has helped!  The good man won!"  I am so proud of my country's decision on Tuesday, and everyone around me seems so optimistic and excited about the changes ahead for the US.  I like to think all of the horn honking I have been hearing these last few days are Indians cheering on our Obama bumper sticker, but I think the honks are just the usual chaotic traffic noises.  It comforts me to know that when we move back to DC there will be quite a different crowd in the city.  No more Texas crowds (no offense, Mom and Dad!) and cowboy boots.  Naturally I am eager to see what kind of puppy moves into the White House.

My due date (Nov 30th) is now exactly 3 weeks away.  My belly is huge, the baby room is basically ready, Paolo will be back from the US in 5 days and Topher remains blissfully unaware of the momentous changes coming.  I am still feeling well and remain active though I definitely tire more easily and rarely stay awake past 9PM these days.  With Paolo away, of course, I can go to bed whenever I wish!  Yesterday I visited the hospital where I will deliver.  The worst part about it is that the traffic getting there is a nightmare- we will certainly have to leave in plenty of time to make it there.  Otherwise the facilities are very nice and the rooms well equipped and clean (this is saying a lot since standards of cleanliness here in India are quite low). 

The last few weeks have been busy for me.  I have found it hard to have Paolo away at this point in the pregnancy but he has been wonderful about calling and has been very busy picking up baby supplies (4 suitcases now!).  Having still quite a bit of work to do has distracted me and the time Paolo has been away has gone very quickly.  Sebastian and Victoria continue to take excellent care of me- making sure I have plenty of healthy things to eat and that the house is running smoothly.  I am really so spoiled by them.  

Topher is also a fantastic distraction.  He needs constant attention from ball throwing to cuddling.  Our daily early morning walks continue to be a favorite part of the day for me.  I have even begun wearing a sweatshirt in the morning- the first long sleeves I have worn since March!!  The air is cool now in the mornings (low 60s), though not terribly refreshing due to the air pollution that descends upon the city once the heat disappears.  Oh well- nothing is every perfect, is it?  We had two memorable visits to the lake this past week.  Last Monday I threw his beloved rubber ball into the middle of the lake and it promptly sank.  I should have suspected this was going to happen as it had become very cracked and waterlogged after 5 months of lake swims.  Poor Topher swam around in circles in the middle of the lake for an hour trying to find it.  I was finally able to coax him back to shore with a bamboo stick.  He played with it half-heartedly and carried it home with his head hanging low.  Once we arrived I pulled out a brand new version of his beloved ball and all was right with the world once again.  He carried it in his mouth the entire day and even slept with it that night.  If only all of life's troubles were so easily solved.

Our second lake incident occurred two days later.  Topher ran ahead of me once we entered the park (no leash laws in India!!) while I was busy reading emails on my phone.  Suddenly I heard children's laughter and women's frantic voices.  As I raced (well, waddled, really) to the lake I came upon a large wedding group watching a ceremony take place in the water.  Early morning (it was 6 AM) ceremonies are quite common here but this was the first time I had encountered one at "our" lake.  Topher seemed not to notice everyone around him as he sat in the water next to the bride and splashed about swatting at his ball.  Needless to say the ceremony had been interrupted by this intrusion.  I was horrified and quickly lured Topher away with a biscuit I had in my pocket.  None of the wedding party seemed upset by Topher's visit and some were even giggling as I dragged Topher away- no swimming for him that day!

I will try to write again next week and include more pictures- maybe there will even be one more belly shot for those of you who can bear to see such a sight!  Paolo and I hope you are all enjoying the fall weather and that those of you in the US are looking forward to Thanksgiving.  We actually have a turkey on order from an organic farm south of Delhi, though who knows if we will be home to eat it!

A big hug to all!  Clara



No comments: